Monday, April 26, 2010

Why practice yoga?

That seems to be a question that comes up everyday. Everyone thinks that they will come to a yoga class and meditate for an hour. Most people are comfused about what yoga is and what class to take. It seems yoga is more complicated than what it really is. I remember when I first started looking at yoga. With a background in running, weight training, arobics and any other high impact exercise you can think of I couldn't imagine slowing down and doing yoga. So, I bought my first yoga DVD. I always worked out at home and never went to a gym. I am very self disciplined. Anyway, I worked out with my yoga DVD for the first time about 11 years ago. I was amazed at how great I felt. I was also amazed at how inflexible I was. The first backbend almost left me paralyzed (just kidding). It did floor me though. But, the imprtant thing is that I left me high impact exercise behind and started practicing yoga more frequently. I bough every yoga DVD I could find. Soon after that, my siet changed, my body image changed, my confidence rose, my body awareness arrived, my life changed for the better and I became a better person. Was it yoga? I do give it credit. I also credit massage as it came about 4 years later. What would I do without yoga & massage? So, yoga is not an hour of meditation unless you go to a meditation class. Yoga is a workout. No matter what class you take. What is important is the knowledge of what kind of yoga you are going to take. There are many types of yoga classes out there and I would be leary of walking into a yoga class that labels that class as just Yoga. Be sure you know the class fits your level. If you are a beginner, at least make sure it is a beginners class. Then there is the question of whether it is a vinyasa flow, Iyenger, Hot Yoga, Ashtanga, Kundilini, or Hatha yoga. I think I hit them all but you get the idea. Just be sure you know what you are walking into when you go to yoga. I am positive you feel good when the class is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment