Friday, October 2, 2015

Living in Minnesota on the Mississippi River

October 2, 2015
What a difference two weeks make.  Two weeks ago we were wearing shorts, T-shirts and Sundressed.  This morning it was 37 degrees when the dogs and I went for a walk.  I put on my mittens, hat, winter coat and boots.  The rooftops were coated with crystal frost glistening in the sun.  The trees are dotted with leaves of yellow and red and the hills are no longer a lush green.
We're getting ready for the Oktoberfest this weekend.  Two weeks ago we celebrated Applefest here in La Crescent.  We featured a float in the Applefest Parade.  What a fun time!  But this weekend is Oktoberfest.  My husband and I will be visiting the Festmaster's Ball tonight to find out who the new Festmaster is for Oktoberfest in La Crosse, Wisconsin on the other side of the Mississippi.
Duck hunting opened here in Minnesota last weekend.  My husband and my dog Sam go hunting opening day.  Sam didn't have to work very hard this year.  It was a warm opener with the temperatures raising into the upper 70's low 80's.  This weekend should be a little cooler for the hunters with the temperatures only reaching into the low 60's.
When we go out for a walk or run, we can smell the scent of fall in the air.  The smell of turning leaves from green to gold is a wonderful scent this time of year.  Our fire places are burning, warming up the house.  Now is the time I start thinking about chili on the stove or a roast in the oven.  Yummm.
It's always fun to get back into sweatshirts and sweatpants.  Feeling the softness of flannel sheets as you climb into bed is another reminder that winter is about to arrive.  I have also been purchasing Christmas presents the last few weeks.  It is also fun to start going through magazines to plan the meals at Christmas time.  We are now entering my favorite time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment